Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Not-So-Devilish Deviled Eggs

My family on my mom's side is c-r-a-z-y about deviled eggs. My Aunt Denise brings them to every family party. I've been told I'm not a Messier if I don't like them. That and coleslaw.... but that's a different recipe all together. We'll stick to eggs for now.

I love eggs in general. Scrambled, over medium with a piece of toast, poached in a Benedict, hard boiled. And especially deviled. They just feel so decadent.

I am a fan.
Eggs are full of nutrients like Vitamins A, D, E, a few different B vitamins, folate (helps protect against birth defects!) not to mention they are a good source of protein. I read once, I think in The South Beach Diet, that eating cholesterol does not lead to having high cholesterol like it was previously thought. Turns out, eggs are pretty good for you!



To kick up the healthfulness and reduce the calorie count just a little bit, I decided to try something: leaving out half of the yolks and adding mashed cauliflower. I don't know what came over me, it was a moment of nutritional genius.


I hard boiled my eggs and steamed up some cauliflower florets. Cauliflower is also a nutritional powerhouse, even though it looks rather unassuming. One cup has over half of a woman's daily value of Vitamin C. Also has Vitamins K and B6. Just a quick Google search came up with those figures here.


Everyone has their own preference for deviled egg accoutrements, 
so just do your thing here.... 


I like a little bit of mayo, yellow mustard, fresh minced garlic, some cayenne, salt & pepper 
and some fresh or dried dill.


Mash it all up, spoon into a ziplock bag and pipe it into the egg whites. Or if you have a pastry bag with a star tip, you can make it look fancy and professional.


I mentioned low-cal up there somewhere and think I should mention that 52 of the 66 calories in an egg come from the yolk. Most of the vitamins are in there too, so this combo of using half yolks and half cauliflower is a nice little trade off.



I'm pretty sure any Messier would be happy to try this little creation of mine. I might not even say anything and see if they know what they're missing ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment