Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Dinners

It's nearing the end of June... and for me, it's finally starting to feel like summer. And although I am a fan of Fall, I do like summer evenings because they are long and the air is warm. The evenings where you get home from work and there's still plenty of daylight left to drag out the BBQ, fix up dinner and enjoy it slowly out on the porch. Pour a glass of wine, talk about your days and just soak up the summery scents and warmth of the air.

 Last night Scott and I threw dinner together with only the food we had at home. Starting with a Caesar salad with homemade croutons. We had 50/50 salad mix (half baby spinach half spring mix) I don't usually have croutons, but we did have some leftover sourdough bread that I cut up into pieces, drizzled in olive oil and baked in the toaster oven until they resembled croutons. Lightly dress the salad with Caesar dressing and sprinkle with Parmesan. Simple but delicious.

I love Trader Joe's frozen colossal shrimp. They're perfect because they thaw and cook fast. Defrost in a baggie with some olive oil, garlic and cayenne pepper and put them on a medium grill for 2 minutes on each side until pink. Scott BBQ'd the shrimp while I made the polenta- sort of a shrimp and grits dish.

There's something very fancy to me about eating simple meals. Not a lot went into this meal, the ingredients were few and simple. This style of cooking really makes your quality ingredients shine; lets the food speak for itself. And it seems like more and more people are migrating toward simple these days. Getting down to the basics. Eating whole foods and seasonal ingredients. I am a fan.


PS- I am taking a new approach to my blogging here. I am going to post everyday food, like I like to eat it among the posts about sewing projects and special recipes. Photos are being taken with my iphone. Because I rarely feel like lugging out the big boy camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment