Monday, April 19, 2010

Lovely Leeks

I am going to do some free advertising for a minute here...

Planet Organics = Awesomeness.

I signed up for their services for a couple of months to test the waters. I really enjoyed the front door delivery of fresh, local organic produce. It is great knowing you're supporting farmers in your area while getting your fill of pesticide free, vitamin laden fruits and veggies. You fill your online cart with what you want, or you can let them do a random selection of what's in season if you're into that sort of thing. I did that once and ended up with a cute little mini pumpkin looking thing that I had to google to even know how to prepare. Anyhow, this service is really convenient and totally worth the money. One of the only downsides to this produce was how very perishable it is! You simply must eat everything within a few days. Though I count this as a 'downside' it is really a great thing. It means these veggies are not sprayed with all kinds of chemicals to preserve their appearance or extend their shelf-life. This is real fresh food, people. Real fresh food has an expiration date.

Even my indoor cat knew something was different about the crate of veg in my living room.



Another item in my random selection cart was a bunch of leeks. How happy I was to see those guys. Leeks, unlike that Sweet Dumpling Squash, I know exactly what to do with....

I LOVE LEEKS! I just love them. Their earthy scent, their soft, never over-powering onion flavor. They remind me of my time spent in France. I guess I was eating a lot of leeks at the time because without fail, every time I cut into one I am transported back to my little kitchen in Toulouse... my balcony doors open, sounds of cars on the cobblestone street below, curtains fluttering in the warm afternoon breeze. Me, chopping and cooking and listening to the hustle and bustle. Ohhhhhhh La France.

OK. I'm back.

I didn't really have a recipe in mind for these leeks. I think Leeks sautéed in a little butter with a sprinkling of salt are just heaven. I had a pie crust left in the fridge that needed to be used up so my first thought was a tart. This is such a simple recipe with very few ingredients, I should have made the crust from scratch :( Next time.




Leek Tarte:

Slice lengthwise and rinse 2 large leeks, making sure to remove all dirt and sand that can hide in between layers. Chop and saute in some olive oil and maybe a bit of butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper as desired. (The cheese will lend some salt, so don't go too crazy)




Stir in about a cup of half & half (whole milk would do) and a cup of grated Emmental cheese. Pour into a pie crust.



Bake until it is golden brown, about 45-50 minutes.



Serve with a side of mixed greens lightly tossed in vinaigrette and you've got lunch. So easy and sooo delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard of that company Planet Organics and have been interested to try it out!

    ReplyDelete