Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Impossible Cheesecake?



Not to brag, but I rarely have a mishap in the kitchen. I don't think I have ever burned anything in the oven. I've never forgotten an ingredient. And never ever have I had something come out so bad that I couldn't eat it.



Actually, I take it all back.

I have burned chocolate chip cookies to a crispified state because I didn't set the timer. I have neglected to add an ingredient a time or two and just this week I rendered this wonderful cheesecake inedible, not by way of burning or forgotten ingredients, but by way of a natural disaster in the kitchen: broken glass. Martha, Fail.

I saw this cheesecake on one of the blogs I check out fairly regularly- Piece of Cake

Shauna, the blog author, shared this recipe based on her mom's adaptation of Bisquick's "Impossible Cheesecake". I thought it looked lovely and amazing so I decided to make it for the group of girls I meet with on Tuesdays.



Ingredients: Cream Cheese, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon juice, sugar and... Bisquick!

You can find her exact recipe here.

I actually added a bit of lemon zest along with the juice. I think it added a nice fragrant punch. If you don't like lemon, you can leave it out altogether.



Mix together all (room temp) ingredients with a hand mixer and pour into a greased pie pan.



Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes (mine needed 40) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes while you're mixing the topping. Yes, topping...

8 ounces sour cream, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. Stir until completely blended and spread on top of your cooled cheesecake. The cooled cake will deflate a little, so just try to spread the topping as evenly as possible.

Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. It is wonderful alone, but a few fresh berries would be a nice addition.



So what about the broken glass you ask? I was cooking dinner while my cheesecake was cooling on the counter- multitasking as usual. I dropped a bottle of olive oil on our BRAND NEW stove which chipped the porcelain edge, sending shards of the stuff flying. I found one little shard on top of the cheesecake just as I began to pour on the topping. I picked it out, but there was no way of knowing how many shards I had already covered up... I was so upset and frustrated at this silly slip up, my lovely husband offered to mix me up a Jack and Ginger Ale.

I did not actually bring the cheesecake to my small group. I couldn't allow my dear girls to eat broken glass!! I cut a slice, ate a bite out of the middle just to try it out (it was A-MAZING) and put the rest in the trash. Sad day for the impossible cheesecake. Thank God for Jack and Ginger Ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment